Thursday, August 18, 2005



Check-up Time

TP goes in for her check-up with the pediatric gastroenterologist tomorrow at noon. Hopefully, this doctor will give me more info about the liver problem than the other doctor who performed the endoscopies. I felt like I was kind of left hanging a few weeks ago with what he said - and while I am very aware that lupus is not a disease which is predictable - I still want some more definitive answers. She looks beautiful. She looks the healthiest ever. Her attitude is great (well, she's 17 - but for a 17 year old who's been through hell and back the past 16 months, I'd say her attitude is pretty wonderful). I pray that this year, her senior year, is uneventful in terms of her health, and is just FUN.

I saw an article at www.anamericanhousewife.com today about the Tyson company. Please visit her for all the info. Apparently, a lawsuit was filed by two black employees because there was a "WHITES ONLY" sign posted on a bathroom door. Carol wondered how this could possibly exist in this day and age. Believe me, it does. I see it in the way people look at my beautiful biracial daughter. I hear it in their remarks, at times. DQ went through hell and back at her Catholic Junior High School - she was verbally harrassed with prejudicial and racist remarks. Fortunately, she has healed greatly over the past 5 months - but I would never wish what she went through on anybody.

I think that there are two forms of prejudice - one based on ignorance, and the other based on fear. The ignorant kind usually does not intend to intentionally hurt the other person. The fearful kind usually knows exactly what they're doing (i.e. - they know it's hurtful or vicious or cruel) - and they go and ahead and do it intentionally because they want to be "superior" over the other person. Or so they believe. What they fail to recognize is that in doing this, they are not only hurting another human being, but they are also hurting their own soul, their own humanity. If one of those kids went through what DQ went through for one day, they would crumble.

Anyway, I plan to boycott Tyson. Please feel free to do the same.

5 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

Paul: Hope your procedure went well today!

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

Barbara: Thanks for your supportive words. DQ has spent a couple of hours each day this week at her new school, and already, she has made some new girl friends. I am so happy! Have a great time on your vacation!

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

Paul - That's so nice that you'd think of TP after all you've been through today. I plan to write something up tomorrow. It was one of those appointments where you walk away with more questions than answers, I suppose. Thanks for your concern

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said...

Prejudice is a sin, Valerie. Christians do not want to admit that because it is such an "accepted" behavior here in the South. I am so sorry your daughter went through all that!

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

Gina - Yes, it is a sin. It's too bad the school didn't address it as such - hence, the reason why DQ is no longer there. A good thing has happened as a result of it all, though - she's become a stronger and more sensitive person. Take care!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page