Tuesday, August 23, 2005



Tradition

Twas the night before school starts
And all through the house
Not a daughter was stirring
While Mom ironed a blouse

The uniforms were hung
in the closet so neat
While the shoes waited patiently
to be placed on the feet.


That's about as far as I can go tonight, folks. Perhaps I'll try a little bit more tomorrow. I still have two letters yet to write - one for each girl - as is my tradition on the night before they go off to their first day of school. I started this tradition when each girl began kindergarten. I am not sure if they've kept these letters, and I don't remember what was even said in them - but I do know my kids love to get them.

In each letter, I tell the girls what my hopes are for them during that school year. I point out their qualities and the gifts which God has given to them - unique gifts which each of them share with the world. I ask them to contine to place God as THE priority in their lives, and to always remember that He is there to help them and guide them and love them.

This year's letter will be especially difficult to write to TP as she begins her senior year. I am beginning to cry just thinking about it. It has hit me like a ton of bricks tonight that this is her last year as a child under this roof. I have no idea what I am going to say - but, being the sensitive young lady she is, I am sure that I will see a tear or two in her eyes.

The letter to DQ is always a challenge to me because in many ways, it is difficult to "reach" her. Nonetheless, she enjoys reading them - and sometimes I see the faintest of smiles on her lips.

I love them dearly. Now it's time to let them go a little bit more. . .

5 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

Tyra: Thanks for the prayers - I hope your kids have a great school year, too. Even if they didn't keep the letters, they'll still remember I did it, and hopefully they'll pass the tradition on to their kids.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

Paul - The kids crack up whenever I do little ditties or make up poems. I, too, hope their memories are never dishevele by anyone or anything from now on - I know each of them have had a difficult year or two, but I am ever so hopeful things will be different from now on. As to whether or not we could adopt you -I am not sure how our youngest "daughter" would feel about that. . . our dog, Katy, is very protective and possessive of all of us (especially me), so you'd have to win her over first!

And yes, TP got home about 3 hours ago, and is now at her waitressing job. It wasn't a very good start to the school year. A girl forgot to call her to include her in this morning's senior class activity - so TP was the only one who didn't participate. She was very, very hurt. Then, the boy that TP has had a crush on forever totally ignored her. Oh boy. . . here we go again! Thanks for your interest, though!!!

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger HeyJules said...

What a great tradition! If you won't adopt Paul, how about me? I get along great with dogs. : )

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

Hey Jules - Hey, I'd really like to adopt more kids - but two is my limit. I'm having fun getting to know you via the internet, though!

Paul - You clean a bathroom??? You like my poems??? Hmm - you sure know how to try to bribe, don't ya??? You're becoming very eloquent with your "wax poetic" statement - hey, I am impressed. TP is going to be fine - she'll be the kind of young lady who'll wait for "Mr Right". She was disappointed earlier, but she is all right now.

Paula - thank you from the bottom of my heart. I am so glad we have become friends in such a short time.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Peg said...

Hello - found your blog -
I love the letters - that is awesome! My boys are in 5th and 8th but I guess I could start now! I like your blog!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page