Wednesday, February 22, 2006



My Baby

DQ's birthday is this weekend - she'll be fifteen already! I should say she's 14 going on 40 - at least, it seems that way at times!

This beauty was God's surprise to us. We had been on the waiting list for our second adoption, this time through a local agency, and we were told we had about a six month waiting list still, and then we got a "surprise" call from our lawyer. He had a baby - about 10 days old, in foster care right now because Mom wanted to "hand-select" the adoptive parents. Were we interested? What do you think our response was? Oh, one minor detail - she's biracial. He said he'd give us the weekend to think about it.

We thought and prayed, and prayed some more. We knew we wanted her, but was society ready for us to have her? (That will be the topic of a whole different post). Were our families ready to open up their arms and hearts to a little munchkin who was "different" than we were? Were WE ready for the stares and comments which we were certain to endure over the upcoming years? The answer was "yes". We were ready - we wanted DQ, and DQ needed a home.

We picked her up several days later at her foster home. TP was almost three years old, and she looked at DQ with huge eyes, walked over to DQ. TP patted the baby's head, looked up at me, and said "I want her - let's take her home". I knew from that moment on, that our decision was the right one.

Fast forward 15 years. DQ is now a tall, willowy young lady with a huge, dimpled smile which melts your heart. She is bright, creative, and intensely loyal to those whom she loves (except when Mom or Dad says something dumb in front of her friends, then she does the eye-roll thing). She's gifted musically. She's precocious. And she's very, very slow at cleaning her room and doing her homework.

She captured my heart from the first second I laid eyes on her dark curly hair and beautiful captivating dark eyes. We have the same temper, so we butt heads at time, but we are quick to forgive and love all over again.

She wants to go to Hollywood someday - either as an actress or a filmmaker. I tell her it's great to follow her dreams, as long as she has an education behind her which can help to pay the bills while she's pursuing her dream. It wouldn't surprise me if she did become a film editor some day - her talent is amazing.

DQ feels her emotions very intensely - hence, the nickname "Drama Queen" (it also goes along with her penchant for acting). When TP was sick, DQ was extremely worried about her sister. When the dog gets hurt, DQ is right there, making sure the dog's all right. She's a very spiritual person - who asks such deep questions that I wonder if she's on the way to being a philosopher.

I love the young woman DQ is becoming. She's always been a tiny little thing - but huge on love, drama, and her heart! I pray that she has a long and happy and healthy life, serving others and Her Lord.

And, as is our usual custom, we will say a special prayer for the young woman who gave birth to DQ. She loved DQ enough to allow someone else the privelege and honor of raising her daughter. I pray that she has had a good life, and that she will be rewarded for her selfless act of love.

14 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Blogger Bethany said...

Happy Birthday DQ!

And thank you for sharing the adoption story! I love adoption stories!

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

I'm so looking forward to your stories at CWO! Happy Birthday to sweet DQ!

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger HeyJules said...

Happy Birthday DQ! May this year be blessed with days full of surprise and wonders.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Pilgrim said...

Thank you for mentioning DQ's birth mother. I can't imagine how hard that was. I wouldn't be surprised if she isn't thinking of DQ today, too, and maybe praying for her. God bless her. And your family.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

happy birthday DQ.... i think you and your parents are both so lucky tohave each other. it was all in God's plan

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger ukok said...

It is a delight for me to wish your daughter a very happy birthday this weekend!

What a wonderful thing for you to do, to pray for the woman who loved your daughter so much that she gave her to you to love. That's so beautiful.

You're an aewesome person, Valerie, and I truly do appreciate your wonderul encouragements and the insights that you give me into your deep spiritual and compassionate existance.

God Bless you and your loved ones.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

HI Bethany: I love adoptions stories, too. I'll be focusing more on that aspect of my life in the new e-zine beginning next month! Thanks!

Hey Paula - It's good to hear from you! I'll let DQ know what you said!

Gayla: I wept when I read your post about your adoption. And thank you so much for the poem- it's just wonderful.

Vicki: Thank you so much, and welcome to my blog! I look forward to getting to know you better.

HeyJules: What a nice wish to bestow on DQ.

Julana: I am sure that DQ's mom will be thinking of her on her birthday. She was only 15 when she had DQ!

Mrs. D: Yes, God has such wonderful plans, doesn't He?

UKOK: I am touched and humbled by your words. Thank you so much. I pray that things will go better for you in the upcoming days. . .

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Happy Birthday DQ!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Stacy said...

The happiest of birthday wishes to your lovely, wonderful daughter.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Essy said...

This is my first time visiting your blog and this story touched my heart. I also have what I call 'one planned baby and one surprise baby'...LOL...both through the miracle of adoption. God is good!

 
At 2:53 AM, Blogger bigwhitehat said...

HBD to DQ.

Val, When I read about your adoption stories, certain emotions just stir up in me. I thank God for moms like you and my mother. You did something wonderful. In short, I love you Val. I love you for being who you are.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger T. F. Stern said...

First time to visit your site, the picture of that Victorian house reminded me of Ray Bradbury's story, The Martian Chronicles, the one where the group landed on Mars only to find a perfectly transported town from the Mid West complete with all the trimmings.

I'll have to go back and read that again now that it's on my mind.

Happy Birthday DQ, around here that used to stand for Dairy Queen where I would buy a Blizzard.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger JodiTucker said...

A happy birthday to a rising teen star nicknamed DQ!!

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

Hi Sarah - It's good to hear from you again!!! Thank you for your birthday wishes!

Hi Stacy - Thanks for visiting today - and I'll let DQ know what you said.

Essy: I'm looking forward to getting to know you! Yes, God IS good!

BWH - Thank you, your words have touched my heart. You and Echo are great people whom I love, too. I'd love to get to know your mom better, so tell her to "visit" me sometime!

TF _ Welcome to my blog - and thanks for the compliment about the Victorian house - it is beautiful, isn't it? And yes, I always think of Dairy Queen, too, when I type in "DQ" for drama queen!

Hi Jodi - Thanks for the wishes!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page