Monday, January 01, 2007



2007


My 2007 appointment book is spread out next to me on my bed. January is already filled up with client's names, doctor appointments, deadlines to meet, phone calls to make, luncheons to attend, school-related activities, church ministry schedule, and other miscellaneous to-do items. The months after January are still somewhat blank, but I know that they, too, shall fill up quickly. I glance through the pages from my 2006 book, and I wonder if I used my time wisely last year. Did I waste too much time worrying or by spending too much time in aimless and meaningless activities? Did I push aside my family and friends too often when I felt as though I needed to finish yet one more thing on my to-do list? Did I fail to nourish my relationship with God because I was just too busy to take a moment to praise Him or thank Him for all that He has given to me?


2006 was a difficult year for me in many ways - yet I learned so many valuable lessons as a result of that pain. The phrase "no pain, no gain" comes to mind, yet that doesn't aptly describe the process I have gone through. What I do realize is that I have just barely begun to learn about life and love and all of God's mysteries. God is pushing me to uncover all those layers of self-protection I have put on over the past few years, and He's challenging me to become more open and vulnerable to His direction, His guidance, and yes, His love.


So, the MOST important daily "appointment" in my 2007 book will be time spent in the presence of the Lord - in prayer, in reflection, or perhaps just even in stillness. For the thought occurs to me that perhaps one of the reasons why this past year was so difficult for me is because I wasn't letting God take over my life. I wasn't listening to His voice often enough. I wasn't writing down my thoughts often enough to try to make sense of what was going on. That is why I've decided to get back into my blogging at "full force". And I'm asking all of you to help me with this, OK? Challenge me, give me a good kick when I need it, encourage me, and just hold me accountable when appropriate, OK?


And perhaps, just perhaps, 2007 may turn out to be the BEST year of my life! One of my best friends recently said "Approach each day as if it's a masterpiece - create it's beauty with your words and actions towards others". A very wise woman, indeed.
I encourage each of you to check out January's edition of CWO where the theme for the month is one of new beginnings. This edition is absolutely wonderful (thanks again, Darlene!), so please grab your favorite beverage, and head on over to www.christianwomenonline.net ! Happy New Year, everyone!

4 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, Valerie. As always, you leave me thinking.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger HeyJules said...

It's oh-so-good to see you back to being "VAL" again! And yes, I'll be happy to hold you accountable for blogging on a regular basis! (Hey, someone's gotta do it, right?)

You're an important voice, Val, and I for one can't wait to hear you go at it in 2007.

Happy New Year, friend!

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Rosemary said...

Wonderful post. What a wise friend. May we all(especially me) learn to be less self-reliant and more God-reliant.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

Hey Tammy - I haven't heard from you in awhile - it's so good to see your name again!!!!

Jules - "Val" is back! I have lots to say, too. THanks for your support, my friend.

Paula - It's a DEAL!

Rosemary - Amen!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page