Friday, April 27, 2007



Being Still

I am listening , Lord. I have finally banished all distractions and unwanted images. I have fially stopped fidgeting and wriggling, both symptoms of struggle. I am no longer staring at book titles or smears on window panes. Nor am I wrapped up in the torrents of words which too often consume my time with you -those lists of people whom I want to remember, things for which I am grateful, petitions for the suffering world. I am still, within and without.

In this silence, in this stillness, I wait to hear your voice, Lord. I have told you so often about my desire to serve. I have offered you my gifts, time and time again, hoping you find them acceptable. I want to be commissioned for some glorious task, to pour myself out that others may come and find you. But it is always the same: the only words I hear are softer than the beat of my heart. "You are the gift," you say. "I want your love - nothing more." ~Elizabeth-Anne Vanek

5 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, Blogger Imperfect Christian said...

Sometimes it is so hard to be still, but so beneficial!

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

All roads intersect at the cross, don't they?

Wonderful post, Val.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said...

Val, this blessed me more than you could ever know. Thank you!

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

CJ, Kevin, and Gina - Bless you, my friends. This was a prayer I recited for years, and I happened to find it again a few days ago. I love it!

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is something I need to do far more of ....

In fact, the other day, the day Owen left, my friend Cath sent me a text telling me just that "be still and know that I am God" and I was so much calmer after that.

Thanks Val x

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page