Sunday, April 01, 2007



I Love My Girls

I am so blessed to be a mom. Despite all the difficulties and heartbreak and pain that I've gone through over the past couple of years, I would never consider quitting this vocation. Simply put, I would die for my girls. I would give my life for them.

The blessings are abundant. I've watched them grow into beautiful young women with hearts full of love and compassion for others. I've witnessed their joy on Christmas morning. I've snuggled with them while reading "Little House on the Prairie" books to them. I've taught them how to discern right from wrong, and I've seen them make a few tough decisions along the way which made me very proud of them. I've heard their laughter and giggles while they were playing with their Barbies on the balcony.

The burdens have been abundant, too. Each of them have faced challenges which weren't "fair" - TP with her illness, and DQ with prejudicial treatment by others - but those challenges have taught all of us how to live and love without fear. I've watched them stumble and fall (literally and figuratively), and I've been there to help them back up and brush away the tears. I've been hurt by some of their actions, just as they have been hurt by some of mine, but somehow we are always able to go beyond those hurts and forgive each other. Sometimes, the pain we have gone through seems almost too much to bear, but we seem to be able to remember that our love for each other is stronger than the pain is, and God is there to help us through it all.

Each of my girls are going through some difficult times right now. While I wish desperately to be able to take away their pain and make it "all better" like I used to be able to do when they were little, I know that I am not able to do that. It grieves me to see them struggling, it kills me to know they are hurting. All I can do is just offer my open arms and an open heart so full of love for them to help comfort them and guide them through these rough waters.

I can't imagine NOT being a mom. I can't imagine what life would be like without my girls. I would never want to imagine anything which might separate me from either one of them. I just want to be the my kids mom - the best mom God intended me to be for them.

7 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, Blogger ann said...

I totally agree with you! There is no better job than being a mom! I also agree with the pain you feel when your children are hurting! I can remember my mom telling me, when I was younger, how she wished that she could take all my hurt for me. I never really understood what she meant until I became a Mom myself. We've had a lot of tough times, too. All part of being a Mom, right? My girls are all grown and Moms themselves now and we've been able - for the most part - to become "friends" as well as Mom and daughter! Something I never felt I could do when they were younger. I'm glad I kept that separation and I love spending time with them now as adults. My son is 17, still going through some stuff, but rewarding all the same. I am thankful that I have a relationship with God - it gets me through all the rough spots and helps me rejoice even more over the good!
I'm sorry your girls are going through difficulty now and I will definitely keep them and your family in prayer!

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Rosemary said...

Mothering-- until you're there you just can't imagine how trivial every other life endeavor seems in comparison. The joy is enormous jand so is the pain, isn't it. God bless you and your family.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i totally agree with you too. and i think you are an awesome mom!!! (hugs)

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

And I'm sure your girls CAN'T IMAGINE you NOT being their mom.

Being a mom is so rewarding...and yes painful. When our children hurt...we hurt. When our children are happy--we are overjoyed! It is a blessed thing--being a mom.

God Bless you and your girls!

Diane

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Colette said...

Great Blog...It is just beautiful! we are currently in the process of adopting and it has tested my faith but I am back on track and reading your blog gives me hope that one day I will be a mom! Hugs and Blessings!

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger ann said...

I was chosen me for an award today - an award for bloggers, I guess - and in turn I am supposed to pass on to five other bloggers the same award showcasing those blogs that I find really make me think! I have chosen your blog as one of those! It's not a requirement that you pass along the award, although you may if you choose, I just wanted you to know that you had been chosen. I appreciate the compassion shown to me by your comments when I was caring for my Mom. I regularly read your posts and appreciate you for who you are - expressed through your writing. Thank you for all your prayers and for your willingness to share your life.

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

Val, this post would be great for CWO's Mother's Day edition. If you haven't written one yet, think about this one, it's so fitting for mother's day, and it's good.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page