Friday, November 09, 2007



Two Years Ago

Two years ago, right about now, TP was in a coma and gravely ill in the PICU. But, a miracle happened that evening, and she is now in perfect health and is still in remission. Most of you know the story by now - she was diagnosed with Lupus Nephritis in April of 2004 and was on massive doses of steroids and immunosuppressants, plus she had even been on chemotherapy. She was in and out of the hospital for many months. Then, that November, she had received great news - that she was going to be off all meds in a few short weeks, plus she had been admitted to the college of her dreams with a huge scholarship. She was on the top of the world! Then, she had two vaccinations - one for the flu and the other for pneumonia, and she had caught a virus at a camp she attended that weekend. Unfortunately, she developed a high fever and became very sick, and I immediately took her to Children's. You can read the rest of that remarkable, miraculous story in my November 2005 archives. God certainly works wonders, and He continues to do so to this very day.

The past two years since that hospitalization, TP has gone through many changes. But, she has weathered each and every one of them. She has been through a lot of pain and a lot of joy. She has matured in many ways, and has started at a new college last week to continue pursuing her dream of obtaining her Bachelor's of Science in Nursing degree. I am proud of the young woman she is becoming. Her faith has been tested and strengthened. So has mine.

During this whole process - from the beginning of her illness, to her hospitalization when she was in PICU, to her graduation from high school, to the boyfriends she has dated which treated her horribly, to her going away to college, to her starting up at a new college with a new boyrfriend in the background - I have struggled myself. I have experienced pain I never thought was possible. I have been in the depths of despair many times. Through it all, God was right there beside me - comforting, guiding, loving, wiping away my tears, giving me strength. I know my faith in Him was tested, as there were times when I doubted He heard me, and there were times I couldn't feel His presence. But those where the times when I knew that I was still being carried in the palm of His hand, because I could feel your prayers and I could read your words of support. All of you have helped me through the past two years in so many ways.

So, thank you. From the very bottom of my heart. I really couldn't have done this without all of you. You've prayed for me and my family, you've wept with me, you've offered me support and wisdom and guidance and comfort and LOVE. Unconditional love. I have felt that over and over and over again. You guys are SO special to me.

In this time of Thanksgiving, one of the the things I am most grateful for is all of the friendships I have made through this blog. Thank you, my friends, thank you. I love each and every one of you.

7 Comments:

At 6:39 PM, Blogger PJ said...

Having a caring, loving family and a strong support system makes all the difference. I don't know what I would have done without all the people praying for me through both of my medical crises these past two years.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger HeyJules said...

Ahhh, Val, we love you, too!

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Love you too Val!

Your family is always in my prayers. I am so glad that TP is in a much better place now.

I am very understanding of this post, as today is 6 years to the day that our lives changed forever.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Right back at ya', Val!

It's been over 2-1/2 years since you started blogging. Wow! Time flies when you're having fun, doesn't it?

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

PJ - I certainly agree with you! God bless you and I'll keep you in my prayers.

Jules - You've been there for me countless times. THank you!

Sarah - Thanks for keeping us in your prayers. You have an amazing story to tell, too. God bless.

Kevin - And it seems like only yesterday. . .

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger bigwhitehat said...

The older I get, the more I figure that the good old days sucked sometimes.

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no greater pain than what you and your daughter are experiencing. It seems that you have been through so much so stay strong in your love for your daughter and I pray that you will both come out on the other side stronger as individuals and as a mother & daughter.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page