Wednesday, June 24, 2009



Something to Ponder

Deb, my friend "Ukok" from overseas, left a comment on my post about my decision to discontinue writing. I visited her blog, and lo and behold, I saw this quote on her sidebar from Henri Nouwen:

Writing can be a true spiritual discipline. Writing can help us to concentrate, to get in touch with the deepers stirrings of our hearts, to clarify our minds, to process confusing emotions, to reflect on our experiences, to give artistic expression to what we are living, and to store significant events in our memories. Writing can also be good for others who might read what we write. Quite often a difficult, painful, or frustrating day can be "redeemed" by writing about it. By writing we can claim what what we have lived and thus integrate it more fully into our journeys. Then writing can become lifesaving for us and sometimes for others too."

What Henri wrote explains perfectly why I've always loved to write. My undergrad degree is in English. It's been a part of my life since I started writing short stories in 3rd grade and since I started keeping a journal when I was 14 after my mom died. This quote has given me something new to ponder since my decision to take a break from this blog. I'm not sure it means that I will come back to writing during the summer, but I am sure it means I haven't given up writing all together (which is where I believe I have been heading). So, thanks, Deb, for pointing me back into my world of words, which has been a love of mine for a long time.

Please visit Deb's website at http://catholicconvert.wordpress.com . She's a wonderful writer and artist, and I'm blessed to call her a friend.

1 Comments:

At 7:55 PM, Blogger Heidi Pocketbook said...

Very good quote. Whether you blog or not, you'll continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page